Thursday, March 26, 2009

Two Words- Reader Response Theory

"Two Words" by Isabel Allende can be evaluated through reader response theory. This story creates a lot of suspence by not tellnig the audience what the "Two Words" are. The reader assumes that they will be revealed at the end of the story, and reads on looking for the author to tell them what they are. The author not telling the reader what the words are is an important aspect of reader response theory. As the theory states, the readers opinion and thoughts are an important part of the story. It is up to the reader to determine for themselves what the ending will be. I think this is particularily effective here, because I am not sure that there would have been two words that would have fully satisfied the audience. These are supposed to be magical words, and keeping them a secret allows them to keep there magic qualities. This story has left me pondering it for a lot longer then if the author had simply handed me the answer. One of the great things about reader response, is that everyone has their own theory and can get something different from the story. I had never thought that the two words could have been the characters name until it was suggested. The idea makes sense though, and I think it is a good option. The reader has the ability to create their own part in the story, and I think this creative control might lead to more people enjoying the story. I wonder if the author herself had the answer. I would love to know what she thinks. Maybe the two words were her characters name, and the author felt it was obvious or maybe she was simply leaving it up to the reader to decide. I enjoyed this story, and the mystery it created.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Hindley, I posted two responses before I knew we only had to do one.

    ReplyDelete