Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hamlet: The Newest Play Written

The Article Hamlet: The Newest Play Written, by Dr. Robert Walton proposes the idea that anyone can look at the character of Hamlet and see themselves in him. Why should we care about Hamlet? I think the answer may be because he can remind us of ourselves. Dr. Walton feels that teenagers will see and relate to Hamlet's rebellion from authority figures. This is a valid point, although I have never been too rebellious a person, it certainly is an appealing situation to take control over those who usually control you. I think Hamlet is important because everyone sees some aspect of themselves in him. Hamlet is a very human character, who is caught up in his own emotions. We see Hamlet struggle to be the person he wants to be, and decide what it is he values most. The reading of Hamlet, can indeed serve as a cautionary tail. Hamlet provides fascinating insight into the human mind and how grief can affect us. As an objective reader, perhaps we can better understand the character traits of Hamlet that we see in ourselves. I feel for Hamlet because I see how badly he wants to do the right thing, he just can't quite figure out what the "right" thing is. I empathise with Hamlet and his desire to make everyone happy. I also understand how deeply affected Hamlet is from his father's murder, and his mother's marriage. I don't see Hamlet as an evil character who deserves to die, but a deeply damaged and depressed man. I see why, in Hamlet's eyes, everything he does is necessary. I understand why Hamlet does what he does, which justifieshim as a good person. Hamlet is a very interesting character who, as Dr. Walton points out, is highly relatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment